RE: Dual master cylinder

To: "Michael Fatsi" <mdfatsi@home.com>
Subject: RE: Dual master cylinder
From: "The Brooks'" <TR3A@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 21:57:49 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Michael,

I've spent some time researching this but still have a single
master cylinder system on my TR3A.  There are a number of
possibilities, none great.

The leading candidate is quite simple.  Use a Spitfire dual
master cylinder.  It's a direct bolt-up to the existing bracket.
Unfortunately, the Spitfire M/C is about a quarter inch too long,
requiring cutting of the firewall to accommodate the length.
Conversely, the entire pedal box can be replaced with a TR6
pedalbox, but this requires even more sheet metal surgery,
something most of us avoid at all costs.

There are a number of other British M/C's which are twin
cylinder.  They are not readily available in this country and
more importantly, since most are sized for modern brake systems
which are most likely power assisted, they have large cross
sectional areas in each of the two M/C bores and the pedal
pressure increases dramatically.  This is not a good solution for
a street car.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that I have yet to find a bolt
in, no sheet metal cutting solution and I have essentially given
up.  In my case, however, during a M/C rebuild I discovered that
my TR3, a former race car with the scars of the twin tube roll
bar still very visible on the chassis and rear shelf sheet metal,
already has cutouts, apparently for the Spitfire or other similar
M/C in the firewall.  I am currently looking for a rebuildable
Spitfire M/C, but may not install it after all.  I strongly feel
that the single cylinder system isn't really bad if you pay
attention to it.  Mine gave me plenty of warning when it started
to fail.

If anyone has a good (no metal cutting) dual master cylinder
solution for a TR3, I'd love to hear about it.

TIA,

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, NJ
1960 TR3A TS69032LO