Re: Remanufactured redlines for TR-6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Remanufactured redlines for TR-6
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 10:37:43 EDT
jdonovan asked about:
>for Diamondback remanufactured Michelin radial redlines -- 205/70R 15s.
and smith007 added:
>>I just returned my 5 reman redlines from Diamondback, had to shell out extra
>>$200, for the Dunlop redlines (not remans) the remans after started sydering
>>cracking, etc in less than 6 mnths. Since rebuilt, car only has about 3500
>>miles. The owner is very nice, but had to talk to some "BUBBA" type employee
>>one day. Only deal with the owner

I have NO experience with Diamond Back's remanufactured redlines, but
have been working hard on getting the set of Diamond Back Dunlop redlines
moved from my garage to my TR6 (hence all the wire wheel questions over
the last few weeks).

I actually visited Diamond Back's shop back in the summer before buying.
They're located in Conway, SC (near Myrtle Beach), and have a moderate
sized, very professional looking shop.  It is not a grungy, rural
tire shop!  They do most of their business mail-order, and have only
a small amount of "walk in" business.  It sounds like the biggest part
of their business is the classic, wide whitewall for early American
iron, with TR-style redlines, and wide "designer colors" for those
into today's Japanese sporty (?) sedans as sidelines.

I dealt with Bill Chapman, the owner, and didn't run into Bubba while
Bill took me on a tour of the shop.  Bill apparently has as his
background lots of involvement with fancy rubber compounds for
racing tires.  You can call him at 888-922-1642 or see their web
site at www.widewhitewalltires.com (the redlines are on the "specialty"
page).  I also found out that Hendrix Wire Wheels in Greensboro, NC
sells the redlines from Diamond Back.

No financial interest here (other than the chunk of change I have
invested in a set of tires which haven't made it onto wheels yet!).

Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com
'72 TR6