Re: Electric fuel pump

To: sweisman@gis.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electric fuel pump
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 10:20:03 EDT
In a message dated 10/02/2000 9:43:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
sweisman@gis.net writes:

> Those of you that use a Facet fuel pump -- where did you mount it?  The
>  instructions clearly state to keep it out of the engine compartment, or
>  anywhere where the temperature exceeds 140F/60C.  They also state that you
>  should not mount the pump higher than 12 inches above the bottom of the
fuel
>  tank

Fascinating! Not that this is the root cause of my engine problems in
Priscilla, my '52 Mayflower, but....

The DPO did mount a Facet fuel pump about as high as one could get it in the
engine bay of the Mayflower. Only saving grace is that it's also far enough
forward that it probably doesn't get quite as much engine heat as it would if
it were on the bulkhead or thereabouts. But it's also probably a good foot or
more higher than the gas tank, which is below the trunk floor. Actually, the
top of the gas tank IS also the trunk floor in most Mayflowers, although my
car has a "custom-fitted" (bodge job of epic proportions) gas tank, probably
out of a Pinto (boom), and that tank actually sits even lower than the
original, which means that the underslung spare tire no longer fits in its
carrier, so it had to ride in the trunk, which in turn meant that MORE metal
from the rear bulkhead had to be hacked away to make that fit....

Poor car. The person who had it before me definitely put the "D" in "DPO"! :-(

--Andy
Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register