Re: I admit it!

Subject: Re: I admit it!
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 21:52:28 -0700
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Well, getting it to crank is a good first step.

I'd say the next step is to check for power at the coil (test lamp from
'+' or 'Bat' terminal to ground should light when the key is on).  If
that's OK, check for fire at the plugs (remove a spark plug, connect it
back to it's high tension lead, then lay the body of the plug on a
ground, like a valve cover stud.  Have a helper crank the engine, look
for spark at the tip of the plug).

If that's OK, I'd suggest getting a can of starting ether, and spraying
a bit into the air cleaners, then try to start it.  (Or have a helper
try to start it while you spray ether into the carbs) If it starts and
dies, you know you've got a fuel problem.  If it still won't fire,
double check the fire at the plugs, the ignition timing and the valve
timing (roughly).

Randall