Re: 40 wt. oil in TR-6 rear shocks

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 40 wt. oil in TR-6 rear shocks
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:23:59 -0400

I got a bit behind in my digests and did not see a response from any one else.
I siphoned out about 1 oz of the shock oil and replaced with 90 wt. gear oil (my
understanding is that 50 wt motor oil has about the same viscosity as 90 wt gear
oil).  This made a noticeable improvement in shock dampening - was still a bit
softer than a typical vehicle with tubular performance shocks.  Hydraulic oil
(shock fluid) is typically 10 wt.  My thought was that using a heavier oil could
not do any damage (other than seal degradation - and the seals would be replaced
in a shock rebuild anyway).  I kept the car for 18 months and put  22,000+ miles
on it during that time including a few days of 700 to 900 miles per day.  There
was no oil leakage or further shock degradation.