A sticky problem....

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: A sticky problem....
From: "Dan John" <johndj1@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 16:01:46 GMT
Hopefully just a little thing but I'm beginning to think that it may not be.

I have a GT6 convertible with a TR2000 Engine.  The engine was rebuilt last
year and I have had a couple of irritating problems with it ever since.

1.  Intermittantly when I turn the key in the ignition to start the car it
either turns over once and that's it or not at all.  Is usually after the
engine has been running for a while.  If I leave it for about 15 mins it
will turn over an fire again fine.  This has really only started since I
left the ignition on for a day once by mistake (I know, don't start).  I'm
thinking maybe I damamged the coil an ickle bit.

2. (And a bit more worrying) Since the engine was built I have had a problem
with the car misfiring.  Usually happens when I accelerate hard (ie slam my
foot down), although it can happen just when I pull my foot off the clutch
to move off.  Also (and I think connected), if I leave the engine idling for
about 15 mins it begins to stutter and then cut out completely.  I've had
various theories including the points not being able to keep up with the
engine.  This should have been resolved after I fitted an electronic
ignition but it wasn't.  Another theory is that the mixture is not strong
enough.  This may be somewhat borne out by the fact that the problem seems
to lesson if I leave the choke out a little bit.

I'd really appreciate any help/ideas.  It's really beginning to do my head
in.

Cheers in advance.

Dan