TR3 Valve troubles page 2

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Valve troubles page 2
From: "Robert Burnett" <tsrb@QuixNet.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 09:25:37 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
In addition to having hung open intake valves, see yesterdays post], I'm
having another problem with the valves, late valve timing according to my
vacuum gauge.  Appears that I have about 10 inches of vacuuum , and the
engine is as weak as a kitten.  I can,t believe that the valve timing is off
at the cam wheel, as I was very careful, with the scribe marks and such, and
the hole in the pulley lines up ok so that the distributor and number one
look to be in the proper spot as I remember??!! after 20years! before I pull
the front apron with its new paint job , and the radiator to look once again
at the cam timing, thought I would ask the list about rocker arm clearances,
late timing could be caused be large clearance at the rockers, right?  set
with a feeler gauge, with motor cold and not running,  at  10 thousanths.
However did not have rocker tips ground flat.  Could wear here cause timing
to be late enough to show low vacuum, and if so can I dress them by hand or
is a machine shop setup required?  TIA , Rob, 20 years and a stillbirth,
sort of!