Re: A sticky [starting] problem

Subject: Re: A sticky [starting] problem
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 10:40:48 -0600
Dan John wrote:

> 1.  Intermittantly when I turn the key in the ignition to start the car it
> either turns over once and that's it or not at all.  Is usually after the
> engine has been running for a while.  If I leave it for about 15 mins it
> will turn over an fire again fine.  This has really only started since I
> left the ignition on for a day once by mistake (I know, don't start).  I'm
> thinking maybe I damamged the coil an ickle bit.

Coil, starter motor, etc. A coil will first fail when it's hot, since the
resistance increases. For example, my coil failed 1 1/2 hours after
I bought my TR4, in heavy Houston traffic. So I think your coil is a
good guess.

OTOH your starter motor would have the same problems, so
that's the next thing I'd check. The solenoid is something too. My
general troubleshooting approach is start to replace things that
are 1. cheap, and 2. I wanted to replace anyway. Then work my
way up to "expensive" and "I hoped that would last longer."

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO