follow-up on Torque question

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: follow-up on Torque question
From: J&E <ebk@buffnet.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 12:37:16 -0500
Hi List!
        I will not repeat Dave Massey's response because you have already read
it in the pervious TR List readings. Here is the summery of responses
that I received, {I hope that I inturpped the infomation correctly}.
        Q: If I put a torque wrench on a 'nut' would I get a different reading
then if I put it on the head of the bolt?
        Response:
Jack D.- >Hooo boy, will you get a lot of opinions this one!<  You'll
cget the same readings unless there is friction between Nut& Bolt... You
will get 2/3 stress on a bolt unless you are wanting more pressure,as
for a gasket. 2/3 is what the reading is to not cause undo stress on to
the fastner. >Measuring torque with a torque wrench is an indirect way
of doing this,< because torque also works on friction ... >all bolt
torques are specified for flat, DRY conditions.< Thus any lub. with
reduce friction & could cause 'streching'.

Michael D. P.- There are different typs of fasteners & they shoud be
torqued in different ways. >the more the advancement of the threads, the
more the fastener is stretched.< Therefore, Torque on that fastener is
to be greater that the 'force' that's trying to seperate the union.
Torque can strech a bolt or in longer cases cause it to 'twist'. because
of this it is advised to 'torque a nut before the bolt.

        I hpo that I hav e transulated the info. that was e-mailed to me
correctly. If I haven't, then would the correct info. be posted to the
list, because I've been told that it is 'incorrect' to requote someone
without there permission. Thank you all for responding to my question.
for now I have been able to sleep better the last 2 nights. :>)
-Cosmo Kramer