RE: TR3 Valve troubles page 2

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3 Valve troubles page 2
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 15:49:22 -0700
Rob :

IMO the valve lash would have to be ghastly wide to get idle vacuum that low.
 Worn tips might account for a few .001, but you are talking about multiple
.010.

You can get a very good idea of the cam timing without pulling the timing cover
: Set the lash on #4 intake and exhaust to .050" (the exact number doesn't
matter, but they have to be the same) with the lifters on the base circle, then
turn the crank to TDC on #1 compression and recheck the lash on the #4 valves.
 It should be less than you set (again the amount is not important), but equal.
(With #1 at TDC compression, #4 exhaust should be just closing, and #4 intake
just opening).  BTW, this is the factory procedure for setting the cam timing.
 If the intake gap is larger, the cam is retarded, and if the exhaust gap is
larger, the cam is advanced.  You can turn the crank until they balance to get
a measurement of how much (but always turn the crank forwards).

Sticking or burnt valves can also cause very low readings, but usually the
reading will fluctuate.

Randall