RE: Purchasing Fasteners for TR3

Subject: RE: Purchasing Fasteners for TR3
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 18:13:35 -0700
Scott :

For a many of the fasteners, you are pretty well stuck with TRF/Moss.  Most
specialty fastener vendors will only deal in full boxes, and I don't know of
any one that carries all the different fasteners found on a TR3, particularly
if you want it to appear original.

However, if appearance is not a concern (pointed bolts and 'correct' diameter
washers, etc.), many of the fasteners can be substituted with common hardware.
 McMaster-Carr will sell in small quantities, I believe even one bolt, and they
will have almost anything you need in NC or NF thread, including Nyloc nuts.
 My experience has been that some of these can be found at Home Depot, etc.,
but usually only in Grade 3.
However, there are exceptions, like the mushroom head bolts that hold the rear
fenders on.  If you use hex head here, the trunk lid will hit, and I've never
seen the mushroom heads anywhere but at Moss/TRF.

For the BA stuff, you'll have to go somewhere else, perhaps British Tools and
Fasteners, or Maryland Metrics.

And then there's the really special stuff, like 'Lift the dot' studs...

Frankly, a complete kit of all the 'correct' hardware for $200 sounds like a
bargain to me, compared to all the grief, running around, phone calls, etc. to
get something that's "not quite right".

Randall