TR7 BFH#4

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 BFH#4
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 15:23:37 EDT
Ok.  Crankshaft is out.  I couldn't figure out how to remove it until I
re-read the manual and realized I had to take the rear backing plate off,
which fortunately I could get to while the engine was bolted to the engine
stand.  Duh...

I have four questions for the day, and an fyi about the original symptoms
leading to tearing down the engine -- after the engine would warm up, it
would start a definite knocking that sounded like the bearing death rattle.
It's interesting that it didn't start right away -- maybe the oil has to thin
out before it would start?  The rod shells look great, it was the main
bearing shells that were worn through to the copper.

So, here are the questions:

1.  What should I look for in a shop that says they can grind the crank?

2.  Can someone explain how the automatic oil-fed chain tensioner works?  The
plastic part that the chain rides on is pretty chewed up, and, at least when
not running, there is a step-like barrel inside the tensioner that is putting
a lot of pressure against the chain.  What I suspect is that when the engine
is running, oil pressure is what is used to push the tension against the
chain, and when the engine isn't running, the step-like barrel keeps the
chain tight.  So, if my oil pressure is crummy, maybe the chain is always
stuck at it tightest because of the step-like barrel?  You can see that I'm
reaching here...

3.  should i be looking at the idler arm, or the jackshaft as the British
call it, and are there parts in there i should try replacing?

4.  And the big question, how do i check the oil pump to see if it is working
correctly?

As always, thanks.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC