Re: Herald question

To: lgmtr6@juno.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Herald question
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 15:31:08 EDT
Cc: triumph_herald@egroups.com
In a message dated 10/04/2000 3:13:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lgmtr6@juno.com writes:

> ...GA108698LCV....
>
>  Does any one know anything about the car? What about the VIN, is this a
>  64 or 65 and is the GA prefix correct?

Working backwards:

Yes, the GA prefix is correct for a 1200 series Herald. I'd guess that this
car was built in early to mid-1963 and could have been registered in the US
(if originally shipped here) as either a 1963 or 1964 model. If it's titled
as a '65, it sat somewhere for quite a while!

I don't (think I) know that specific car, but it would likely be a "Mk.2
1200" with the later style Vitesse "Star" chassis, but just as likely with
the earlier 39-40 hp version of the 1147 Herald engine: Solex B30PSE1 carb on
the "short" and small-bore manifold. That is, if the original engine and
ancillaries are still in place. It should have the usual 1200 interior, with
the padded dash surround and the wood facia, and I think it's late enough
that the wood would NOT have the recessed holes to fit over the various knobs
and controls; they would be flush on the wood. Probably it has the original
style of two-piece grille in body-colored surround, and most likely it's got
"Herald" script on the trunk lid with "1200" below, as was normal, with T R I
U M P H letters across the front and rear. And it should have the older L636
taillamps and the L584(?) separate side/flasher bulb lamp units in front.

Oh, and of course charcoal grey carpeting. :-)

How am I doing so far?

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register