TR2 box rebuild trick/ TR6 too?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR2 box rebuild trick/ TR6 too?
From: dncullig@us.ibm.com
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 08:30:48 -0400
John Gillis (jgillis@tcd.ie) wrote:
>                         Without doubt the most difficult
>aspect of rebuilding one of these boxes is the removal and
>replacement of the circlip on the main shaft.

     Hmmm, says I.  The circlip has been one of the consistent
suspects in the TR6 transmission I'm having problems with. If
I'm not mistaken, it has been pulverized every time the box
has been opened up (most likely due to it hopping out and being
chewed up in the gears).  Isn't this circlip supposed to be in-
stalled with a specific Churchill tool (Either S176 or S167A -
my Bentley manual seems to be confused about which is right)?
Could bending the circlip (with circlip pliers) during the
course of installation cause it to fail prematurely?  Thanks
for any and all info.

Dennis Culligan / '76 TR6 CF57948U - TR6IUMPH / Highland,NY /
                              DNCULLIG@US.IBM.COM