Fuel Shutoff Valve

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Shutoff Valve
From: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 09:35:04 -0400
Listers,

Opinions please:  I want to install a fuel shutoff valve in my fuel line.
Although most TR3's came with one, my TR3B did not.  What I really want is a
little brass shutoff valve, or petcock.  My local auto parts place had
nothing.  So I went to my nearby Home Depot plumbing department, and bought
exactly what I wanted.  I got it home and took it apart.  It's not all
metal -- there is a fiber sealing washer around the stem.

My question is -- This device is made for water, not gasoline.  With the gas
attack that fiber washer, causing the valve to eventually leak?

Another question -- The guy at the auto parts place recommended I use teflon
tape to seal the fittings in my fuel line.  Will gas eventually attack the
teflon and cause a leak?  If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks!

Sumner Weisman
62 TR3B TSF263L