TR4 rack & pinion rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 rack & pinion rebuild
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 00:11:31 EDT
Jerry
If you can get the parts (I think pinions are hard if not impossible to find
but racks seem to be available) the rebuild would be pretty easy I think.
Don't forget to check the rack bushing at the end of passenger side rack
tube. The pinion teeth and the rack teeth are what seem to wear (at least on
mine). The 'straight ahead' position is where most of the wear was on both
gears. The other parts, bushings etc seemed OK on mine so I just replaced the
pinion and rack with good used items. The tie rods were quite worn sloppy so
I adjusted back to .002 with using proper shims (one was really worn due to
dirt access through broken rubber boot) so I ground it round again with valve
grinding paste. Total parts cost was about $100 (for used parts and new
boots) but if you find loose tie rod ends, worn pinion and rack you might
think about TRFs rebuilt unit for $225-ish. Cost alot but sure would save
alot of time..

Carl Sereda
'63 TR4 since '74

Has anyone on the list rebuilt a Rack and Pinion steering unit? It looks
like a fairly straight forward process and needing only a dial indicator,
mag base and some feeler gauges, along with a homemade weight arrangement
for final adjustment.
The parts are listed in Moss's catalogue. Does anyone know if they are
actually available? It's Sunday and I haven't checked with them.
Jerry Van Vlack