Re: Stones - 3M Clear Rocker Panel Spray

To: Mike.Smith@bbdo.ca, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stones - 3M Clear Rocker Panel Spray
From: WBabbitt@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 20:19:14 EDT
In a message dated 10/10/00 10:18:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Mike.Smith@bbdo.ca writes:

<<  I wondered if there were any schools of thought as to rock/stone chip
protection for the fender interiors? >>
Mike,
I just finished painting my TR3A.  I had great success with coating the
entire underside and inside the fenders with 3M Rocker Panel Spray Clear Part
No. 051131-05911.  It's listed as a paintable, chip resistant coating.
Checking with 3M, it's also ok to spray on top of paint (if you're careful -
there is a disclaimer on the can that says not for use over OEM or refinish
enamels or urethane paints).  My paint job was acrylic enamel.  It was
necessary to initially apply a few light coats of the chip guard in warm dry
weather (if you put on a heavy initial coat that doesn't dry quickly, it can
react with the paint).  Then after that it was ok to load it up.  You can
barely tell it's there, it's clear and lets the color of the paint show
through; in my case lemon yellow.
I really think it'll be worth the extra trouble.
Bill Babbitt
TR3A in a bag
Gales Ferry, Ct