Re: Facet Fuel Pumps

To: lang@isis.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Facet Fuel Pumps
From: Rikrock@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 10:02:45 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 00-10-12 18:36:04 EDT, lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU writes:

<<
 If the pump is too loud for you, you can buy a mounting kit with little
 rubber "isolators". I can't offer much in the way of experience in how much
 they help the noise, but they should help some. Especially in your TVR. In
 fact, I have a kit somewhere out in the garage that I never used. Hmmmm. >>

Bob,

Thanks for the info.  I did use a small piece of conveyor belt when I mounted
the pump.  Something with  a little more give would probably  work better to
isolate/insulate the pump and cut down on the noise.

What I don't particularly care for is the way the pump keeps clicking away
even when the fuel inlet valves on the carbs are closed.  Like  when the
ignition is switched on but the engine is not running.  Not that that ever
happens for any more than a few seconds, but having grown up with the old SU
pumps that stopped clicking once they built up pressure,  this newfangled
pump "feature" seems odd.

When I  installed the pump I connected the hot wire to the ignition switch
"run" terminal and used an in-line fuse.  When I tested the pump by turning
the key "on" I expected the pump to stop running after a few seconds.  When
it didn't stop running, I thought I had a  fuel line leak. There was no leak
and the carbs were not flooding.  That's what bugs me.  If there ever is a
leak, I won't be able to rely on the sound from the fuel pump to alert me.

I guess one solution might be to install an oil pressure activated switch
(which is a very good idea on its own).  Any other ideas out there?

Rich Rock
Pottstown, PA