Intake/exhaust manifold nuts-- are they special?

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>, nass <nass@egroups.com>
Subject: Intake/exhaust manifold nuts-- are they special?
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 10:20:10 -0400
Hello the camp!

Well I've begun to assemble the stainless sport system (the one
sold by Rimmer-- but who makes it, really?  I've no idea....)

Anyhow, Rimmer sent me new studs and nuts.  The trouble is, the
nuts don't fit them thar studs.  I'm wondering if that's
deliberate-- they could be an interference fit, so they don't
vibrate off.  But, I thought fasteners with interference threads
were marked in some way, and the only thing I see on these nuts
is a small '5'.

The PO had installed lock nuts with *nylon* inserts, this for an
exhaust manifold!  sheesh!  Well, at least he recognized the need
for lock nuts, even if he got the wrong type.

So, how does one identify interference threads?

thx!

(and if you subscribe to all three lists, sorry for the WoB!)
--
Douglas Frank Compaq Computer Corp.  Lead, n.  A metal, useful as
ZKO           110 Spit Brook Rd.      counterpoise to an argument