Re: Oil Leaks

Subject: Re: Oil Leaks
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 14:22:48 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Bill :

It's a pain, but doable.  I replaced my timing chain tensioner a few
years ago, took me about a day (but my car has no hub extension).

If you've still got the stock fan and hub extension, I probably wouldn't
bother trying to do it without pulling the front apron.  I believe it to
be possible (by splitting the hub and removing the extension first), but
it's a major PITA.

Once the hub extension is out of the way, the rest is fairly
straightforward.  Pay attention to the orientation of the pulley halves,
and be sure to line up the timing mark with the keyway on reassembly.
You'll want to remove the front crossmember, which will probably be
easier with the wheels off and the frame on stands, so you can work
through the wheel wells.  Don't forget the nut in the center of the
timing cover.  You probably should change the front seal and tensioner
while you're here (they're cheap), and pay careful attention to the
sealing surface of the hub.  If it's scored enough to catch with a
fingernail, consider a Speedi-sleeve.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO