Re: Oil Leaks

To: Bill & Skip Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Leaks
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 18:48:42 -0700
Bill,
    Just been there with my '66 TR-4A.  This was a *big* job for the
uninitiated, but so sweat for an strong, experienced mechanic - in my case,
my Aussie friend from the day job - awesome to watch him work.
    Bad news is that it's worse on a TR-3.  Here's the drill:

1. Take the front clip off.
2. Take the radiator off.
3. Take out the dog bolt.
4. Remove the fan belt, fan, hub extension, front hub and pulley.
5. Now you can get at the timing cover.

While you are inside, check the timing chain, tensioner and the timing
sprockets.

    Bottom line: if you have no other problem than a slow leak, do what the
rest of us do - ignore it until there is some other reason to take the
front clip off.

    John Cowan