Re: rating dash bulb brightness

To: CarlSereda@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rating dash bulb brightness
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 20:36:04 -0600

CarlSereda@aol.com wrote:

> Michael
> i knew I should include the '100mA' consumption part - does that help?
> I don't really trust Radio Shack generic parts (like these 30 hour bulbs) as
> their batteries have always pooped out early for me compared to other battery
> company's brands.

Interesting... the 100mA consumption doesn't jive with the wattage
rating. At 12V, a 100mA current consumption should give it 1.2 watt
rating, not 2.2 watts. (!) I suspect that the folks making the specs
gave it a wattage rating corresponding to some high number for its
illumination, and conveniently forgot the other part of the current
consumption going to heat. Doesn't sound like a very efficient bulb.

> Also it says right on the bulb package "for home and school projects,
> electronic repairs and hobbies like model railroads" - somehow I think that
> means - automotive use results in very short life..

Possibly so. What you might try doing, in the future, to avoid having to
depend upon the local Radio Shack is to look on the web at the Digi-Key
site. They sell mostly commercially or industrially rated equipment, and
the prices are pretty good. Once you make even a small order with them,
they will send you their next available catalog by mail. I ran into a
problem getting a couple of 350 mHz Pentium IIs mounted in my computer
(when I was upgrading from 277s) because the later 350 mHz Pentium II
units from Intel use the Pentium III processor and fan mounts. I ordered
all the possible mounting stuff I think of for the processors (which
amounted to about $10 worth of plastic parts and $3 shipping) and I've
been getting catalogs every three or four months, ever since. Digi-Key
is at:

http://www.digikey.com/

I suspect you would be able to find bulbs of higher output and better
lifetime ratings there.

Cheers, Carl.

--

Michael D. Porter