Brake lines?

To: obiedog@telusplanet.net;, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake lines?
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 23:00:40 -0400
Hi Ross,
I looked into this a while back and ended up going with the copper-nickel
for my TR3a (not on the car yet though). I got good service ordering them
from "The TR Shop" in England; they were able to add the clutch pipe to the
kit that normally just has the brake pipes, and their price was good. This
is going back perhaps 10 months ago, and the very next Moss catalog had
these lines in the glossy section, for a bit more money. When comparing
these two sources you have to consider shipping and exchange rates at the
time though. If doing it again I would still go with The TR Shop because I
don't think Moss could have coped with my wanting that one extra pipe.
Their only disadvantage (if it is one) is that they aren't one the web - if
you want their number I can dig it up for you.
The copper-nickel pipes have a dual-purpose flare that will work for these
cars; it's a bit hard to describe but looks like it will be fine. Each pipe
is tagged with a number and a chart is included so you'll know what goes
where, and each fitting has a rubber cup on the end to protect the threads.
The pipes are not pre-bent like some of the stainless ones you can buy, but
the difference is price is also large. I think I paid 40-45 pounds, and the
SS ones are something like $200 US.
As far as technical considerations I don't think either copper-nickel or SS
has any particular drawbacks. Both won't rust, which was my main interest.
(Personally I like the coppery colour of these as compared to the SS, but
that's subjective.)
Regards,
Jim
Would someone care to comment on the various types of replacement brake
lines available.
Stainless steel vs. copper/nickel vs. standard steel. Pros and cons.
Thank you
Ross Maylor