shift levers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: shift levers
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:31:02 PDT
Hi,

Since the "What happens if" thread seems to have morphed into a discussion
about cars. And there is some MG content I thought I would ask this
question.

I have a single rail tranny from a '78 Spit in my Herald, but a while back I
broke off the threaded part of the shift lever. I've just been driving it
this way but I found a late model Midget at the local wrecker so I purchased
the shift lever for $5.

Upon installing it I found that the groove in the ball shaped thingy is
located on the wrong side.

Is there any way to rotate that ball shaped thingy on the shaft so my lever
points toward the rear of the car instead of forward? This might be obvious
when I clean the grease off it, but I thought I would ask here before I
started. TIA...

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 Herald (with strange backward shift lever)
'63 TR 4