Re: shift levers

To: derek_evans@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: shift levers
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:08:23 PDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Derek,

I have an engine and tranny from a '78 spit in my Herald now and it's a swap
I can heartily recommend. I no longer get passed by VW microbus' on the
freeway.

My swap started by pulling the old engine and tranny. Next I rebuilt the
front suspension (you can skip this step, but it's really easy with the
engine out of the way. Since I had the old style engine mounts (engine bolts
to the frame) I changed the suspension uprights with the ones from the donor
Spit. BTW, after parting our the rest of the Spit I ended up with a net
profit of about $500. ;^)
Since I was building an auto-x car I decided to keep the aluminum bell
housing which had to be machined slightly to clear the single rail shift
rod. I bolted this all together with a new clutch and installed it into the
car. Then I measured between the tailshaft and pumpkin to get the proper
length for the driveshaft and had my driveshaft shortened and balanced by
the local driveline service company. I'm sure there are quite a few other
things I did that I'm not remembering, but you get the idea. It all took
about 9 months, but I wouldn't say I worked on it every day. My friend did
the same swap on one of his Heralds, and it really does improve the driving
experience.
Of course the modifications are not "concourse", but they're all Triumph
bits and Heralds are not really "concourse" cars.... Yet

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 Herald (hot)
'63 TR 4