Re: Grease Nipple Lower Wishbone

To: <fogbro1@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Grease Nipple Lower Wishbone
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 21:46:59 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
You may be right, although Mr Suhring just sent me an e-mail saying that the
1/8 NPT tap worked perfectly.  I just assumed that, as most of the other
fasteners on the car are Unified then the grease fittings would be to the
American standard, also.

BTW, you were not comparing apples to apples in your diameter comparison.
The MAJOR diameter of the 1/8 NPT straight thread is .390-.397".  The MAJOR
diameter for a 1/8 BSP straight thread is .383".  The diameter of .405" that
you reference is the OD of a 1/8" pipe.  Also, tapered threads are usually
specified for pressure-tight joints, which grease fittings usually are.

My source:

Machinery's Handbook, 20th Ed.