TR shims & bushing ream

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR shims & bushing ream
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 00:00:21 EST
Pat
I bought ready-to-fit lower A-arm bronze bushings that don't require reaming
from RevingtonTR (UK) for about $2each. (2 required each arm - total 8) The
bushings are narrow enough so that when each is pressed in from both sides of
each arm there is a center gutter left that coincides with the grease zerk.
The bushings resemble the kind used in the rear of the Lucas generators -
they're compressed bronze particals that end up making an oil porous bushing
(although I will be using grease). I don't know how they compare to the
brass/steel original kind regarding wear or strength - they do have a 'deeper
wear margin' as they are bronze all the way through Vs brass in a steel shell
- the steel shell that didn't save any of my A-arms!
I also bought RevingtonTR's aftermarket hardened steel trunnion shafts to
press into my brass trunnions after I knocked the worn shafts out. The
'vertical link to trunnion threads' seemed perfect (tested fit using 10wt
oil) yet the steel shafts had gone through the original brass/steel A-arm
bushes and into the cast arms ruining not only the shafts but the four lower
arms as well.
Now I have four new used A-arms and new shafts and oilite type bushings -
just need to assemble the car in it's entirety to see how they hold up!

Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

<<The brass bushings in the outer end of the lower wishbones will need to
be reamed (5/8" as I recall), if they have been replaced.  IMO, they
should always be replaced.>>