TR6 Valve Cover and Gasket

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Valve Cover and Gasket
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:17:56 EST
The discussions about Justin's upcoming new TR6 valve
cover gasket (I traded email with him about it:  I'm
very interested, and hope the price can come out to
be less than the $60 possibility) prompted me to
give consideration to one of my planned winter projects.
(anybody got any spare 'round tuits...)

It's way past time to do a valve adjustment, and I plan
to get the cover powder coated while it's off (old paint
is falling off, so paint or PC has to be done).  Two
questions:

1)  Would you coat just the outside of the valve cover,
or the interior surface as well?  Probably won't make
any difference in cost.  No, I'm not anal enough to
want a shiny inside surface, but just want to do
the right thing.  If there are reasons one way or
the other, now's the time to find them out.

2)  Assuming Justin's new gasket isn't done in time,
exactly what is the best way to reinstall?  Gasket/dry?
Gasket+sealer?  Sealer alone?  I think the manuals
say gasket alone, but common practice uses the silicone
goo stuff.  Which goo do you use?

Thanks in advance,
Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com