Re: Quality back in 78

To: Geo Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Subject: Re: Quality back in 78
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 14:01:02 -0700
Cc: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Geo Hahn wrote:

> I recall a friend's MGB that was purchased new in 1969 after a respray.  At
>some point in the shipping of the car some fluid/fluif leaked from an MG
>riding above it.  Given the propensity of LBCs for leakage... I can imagine
>this was not a unique situation.

This happens. One other thing to consider is that cars delivered to the
US had to go through two ports and rail and/or road transport to get to
the dealer. Plenty of opportunities for dings and dents.

While it wasn't common, cars were damaged just getting them off the car
hauler at the dealership, and were repaired locally.

My favorite story in this regard was from a customer in Florida, who'd
bought a new Toyota in the early `70s. At that time, all the cars came
in through the port in New Orleans and were hoisted out of the ship bays
(later, the Toyota Maru and ships like it were side loaders and came
into Jacksonville and the cars were driven off directly into the
receiving lot).

The car was delivered in early spring, so it was fairly warm in Florida,
and the car interior had a very pungent odor when it sat in the sun,
closed up, for a while. Customer took it back to the dealer several
times, the seats and door trim were removed, and nothing could be found.
After several tries at fixing the problem, he took the car to an
interior trim shop. That shop removed the headliner, and found the
remains of a rather large swamp bullfrog wedged into a roof support
above the "c" pillar. The only possible explanation tendered was that
the car had been dropped in the water when being removed from the ship,
and that the frog had found its way in there while the car sat
submerged.

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter