RE: e-bay - my diatribe

To: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>, " 'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: e-bay - my diatribe
From: "Eric Conrad" <conrade@qwest.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 15:48:54 -0700
Not being a user of Ebay, I guess I like to know what is available in the
way of parts.  However, I would not use Ebay to purchase anything.  If it's
listed on Ebay, and advertised on the list, my guess is that I would be
precluded from purchasing the item(s) unless I used Ebay.

Rightly or wrongly, I trust the list members much more than some e-auction
salesman with a digital camera and creative lighting.  The stories we all
periodically hear just continue my distaste of e-auctions.  One recent
example:  The Lucas Fault manual - auction price tends to be $22, Moss sells
them for about $8.  Items purchased at auction can be real bargains, but you
really have to know what you're buying, and have a heap of information in
advance.

My feeling is: sell to the list and / or your local club members, buy from
the list and / or your local club members.  Don't buy from someone who is in
pursuit of a fast buck, simply because there are many "enthusiasts" with (in
some cases) limited information supporting their decision to buy.

Since I'm on the subject, I'm also offended by the number of "commercial"
and / or pseudo-business parts-for-sale items listed on the VTR Classifieds
web site.  I'm not one to fault anyone for making a profit from any endeavor
they so choose, but I do expect them to pay for their own advertising.  I
don't appreciate the "free" use of the VTR to further their profiteering.