Re: Rotor and Caps Question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rotor and Caps Question
From: "J.H. Roulleaux" <Jean.Rouleaux@skynet.be>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 01:01:43 +0100
Don
Many problems have been reported with new Lucas rotors.
There was even an article about cracked rotors in TRaction,
magazine of the largest U.K.TR club. I had myself the same
experience with my TR6.Last year I attended a meeting about 150
miles away from my place and about 15 miles from destination my
windscreen shatterd into 15000 pieces( the car from 1970 still had
the original Securit screen) I removed pieces carefully and
continued to the meeting.When returning home in the evening on a
very busy crossing the engine suddenly died. With the help of my
son I pushed the car off the road and called AA to put the car on a
trailer.I was so fed up that I did not care to search for the reason of
this sudden death.I had just replaced the old 29 year old rotor
about 1 month prior to this incident by a new Lucas rotor.The AA
intervention team discovered the fault in 5 min. and I must say I felt
as stupid as I could, because I would never have suspected the
new rotor to fail .The good thing was that I had carried the old rotor
along with me and so I was on the road again 20 min later.The
most time consuming part were the formalities.Next day I
inspected the rotor and discovered a haircrack from top to bottom.
So I had learned 2 lessons that day.1 st. I should have replaced
that bl**dy Securit windscreen a long time ago by a laminated
screen and 2nd never leave home without a spare rotor.I have an
electronic ignition since
1975  and never had problems before.
Regards
Jean