RE: e-bay - my diatribe, my $.02 worth

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>, " Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: RE: e-bay - my diatribe, my $.02 worth
From: "Eric Conrad" <conrade@qwest.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 17:20:42 -0700
Cc: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
<<Randall Young wrote:>>
... there's no way I am going to 'throw rocks' at Fred for selling the stuff
on eBay instead of on the list.  He found the stuff (along with Ronnie
Babbitt), presumably fronted the money to buy it, and is going through all
the hassle of separating it, identifying it, taking photos, listing on eBay,
etc.  Why shouldn't he make a little profit from his risk and effort ?

While I'm sure that my comments were taken for what they were, a comment
against e-auctions, and not a personal commentary of Fred Thomas, I do want
to make sure that the list knows that I'm not "putting Fred down".
Randall's quote (listed above) is taken out of context ( and I don't believe
he was saying that I was discrediting Fred), but it caused me to worry that
list members might get the wrong impression from my comments.  They were
meant to be general comments, and in no way designed to be specific towards
Fred, or other list members that sell items on Ebay, and then post these
sales on the list.
I do, however, still feel that e-auctions are not "my cup of tea", and that
I would rather buy/sell items with list members, VTR members, and my local
triumph club members.  I also stand by my opinion that I would rather not
see business-related classified postings on the VTR website.
<rant mode off>
Eric Conrad
'76 TR6 - with no ebay purchased parts, and not likely to have any during my
ownership (which I hope to last a long while)  8^)