TR4-Viscous fan conversion & related

To: "'Brian Sanborn'" <sanborn@net1plus.com>, CarlSereda@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4-Viscous fan conversion & related
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 12:33:22 -0500
Cc: "'staffel@home.com'" <staffel@home.com>
Hi Brian!
Nice to hear from you directly again! Sorry about the misunderstanding. For
those not totally in tune with the 'alternative cooling fan thread
loop';This all stated with a number of list members concerns for the 'metal
fan elicited vibration' at 3800 and above RPMs on our TR4 cyl engines, and
lack of success in balancing or tuning the fan to eliminate the vibration,
and search for an alternative radiator cooling mechanism.

Brian, on my Jensen GT, the last of the Jensen-Healey productions,only the
later cars used a viscous fan was fitted. This of course is the Lotus 907 4
cyl dohc engine. The fan has plastic blades but a metal 'hub'. I will
actually be pulling the water pump (for rebuild), to which the viscous fan
is attached, as soon as I can get the car to my friends barn, and begin that
restoration.

The viscous fan thought is an interesting idea, but wouldn't eliminate the
fall/late fall/occassional nice winter day/early spring 'fan not required at
all', or eliminate the 'dust/leaves nucience' TR enjoyment day(s)! I'll take
some jpegs, examine & measure the attachment bolt pattern, width, depth,
etc, to see if & what would have to be done to mount it to the TR extension
hub. I know on the Lotus 907, the water pumps were different between the
early cars (fixed plastic fan, probably same at TR-6) and the later
cars/GT's with the viscous fan.
Your mention of the Volvo fan is also interesting, as Jensen built the
Austin-Healey 3000's, & the Volvo P1800 Hatchback, so maybe this is the same
viscous fan....(Jensen tapped many of our LBC cfeators for 'whatever was on
the shelf'....

Sherman