Auto body 101

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Auto body 101
From: Richard.R.Olson@tc.faa.gov (Richard R Olson)
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 14:23:37 -0500
     This may be obvious to a lot of folks, but I found a real neat way
     to do a lot of body work/painting, even in the cold weather (my
     garage is unheated!)

     I recently signed up with my local Vocational Technical School
     adult class on 'Antique Auto Body Repair'.  The course is centered
     around "bring a project in, and use our equipment and work on it".

     For $100US (4 hours/week, 12 weeks, student pays for materials),
     I've got more HVLP paint guns than I can count (sorry Fred, no
     powder coating, yet!), all types of welding gear, the typical body
     and fender tools (including a Pin Spotter? - a tool that looks like
     a hand held hairdryer, you put in a 3" copper pin and it gets spot
     welded to the sheet metal, and you can pull out dents that you
     can't get to from behind, then twist off the pin...hey, folks,this
     is new technology to me!)

     But best of all is the real paint booth, with bake capability, and
     last but not least, an instructor with decades of experience.

     So, tucked in among all the '67 Chevelles, '32 Fords, and '64 GTOs
     is a lonely TR6, waiting for TLC.

     Don't know why I didn't do this years ago!

     Rick Olson
     Thinking of signing up for next semester, already!