Re: Question for UK listers (car, not LBC)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question for UK listers (car, not LBC)
From: Will <tr6@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 17:59:58 +0000
>>  I was
>>wondering why almost all of the British police videos feature the speed of
>>the police car in miles per hour rather than kph.  You folks going soft on
>>the metric system?
>>
>>Also, from the helicopter shots, it was easy to see many inner-city streets
>>with occasional areas featuring white squiggly lines on both sides of a given
>>lane.  What is the significance of these markings?  Mandated slalom zones?
>>
>>Chris Eck
>>59 Bugeye
>>59 TR3A

Britain has never really been able to make up it's mind on the metric
system...when I went through school we would be using metric in one
class & imperial in the next, I'm still confused by it all!  Petrol
in sold in litres, but fuel consumption is always in miles per
gallon, it is almost impossible to explain the consumption on my TR
to anyone in mainland Europe, litres per km against miles per
gallon.....

All our road signs give distances in miles (or yards), and our speed
limits are in mph.

I suspect the squiggly lines you refer to are the markings on either
side of a pedestrian crossing, cars are not allowed to park inside
these lines, to aid visibility on the crossing. British road markings
used to be simple & highly effective, things have changed & now the
roads are covered in various coloured lines. When I learnt to drive
in 1980 the instructor showed me a junction with small yellow
triangles in the road...its the only time I ever saw them...he said
they were something to do with parking near the junction, but had to
admit he wasn't quite sure.

Mandated slalom zones may well be the next thing, I look forward to
trying them out...
--
William Davies
1975 TR6 PI