Speedo doesn't work--TR6

Subject: Speedo doesn't work--TR6
From: "Tom Di Iulio" <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 19:47:31 -0800
Dear Listers,
    i've re-attached my speedometer today with a new trf cable. i'm running a
j-type
overdrive with a right-angle drive coming off the o/d unit. after a test drive,
the speedo
shows no interest in moving. so i pull the tranny cover, disconnect the cable
from the
rt-angle unit and twist it in my fingers to see if the speedo needle will move,
it does.
    i pull the rt-angle unit to see if one end turns the other, it does. i put
white
lithium grease in the screw hole (i hope that's what it's for) and the unit
feels smoother
but after re-connection, still no speedo needle movement.
    i connect the cable to the rt-angle unit and turn with my fingers to see if
the speedo
needle will move, it will. but only if the cable is not screwed down/in all the
way. i go
for a test drive with the tranny exposed and fiddle with the connection while
moving
(kids, don't try this at home!), still no needle movement.
    any ideas?
Tom Di Iulio
1976 TR6