Noisy tranny, was RE: Bead Blasting and OD Install

To: "sanborn@net1plus.com" <sanborn@net1plus.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Noisy tranny, was RE: Bead Blasting and OD Install
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 21:21:06 -0500
>If the noise is normal... I'll stop chasing the problem.  I will
>check the layshaft bearings carefully.

Brian,  As I had said before, SOME noise is expected, just how much????  My
tranny was rather noisy at all times in first thru third.  It was distinctly
noisy
when neutral as well.  Sounded like a very noisy meshing of gears.

Well, my laysaft had spalled, but I think the noise was from toasted big main
bearings.  The front one was rather loose, but the balls and races LOOKED fine.
the "middle" bearing was really bad.  It had spalling of the balls and the
races.  The balls were
gray not mirror-like!

Evidently when in neutral, that loose front main bearing must have been dancing
a jig!

-Tony