TR7 BFH#52 - Failed emissions test

To: "INTERNET:Eganb@aol.com" <Eganb@aol.com>
Subject: TR7 BFH#52 - Failed emissions test
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 20:16:16 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, "[unknown]" <british-cars@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:Eganb@aol.com
>Well, the good news is my newly-reassembled TR7 passed the safety
>inspection today.  The bad news is that it flunked the emissions test.
>
>I need a 2% CO reading, and mine was 3.14%.
>
>So, now I need to strategize on how to fix this.  Here are my thoughts, so

>chime in with your comments:
>
>1.  They do the emission test at idle.  I'm missing the vacuum retard unit
on
>my dizzy, so the timing was probably at 10degrees BTDC, but with the
vacuum
>unit it would be less.  I have a new dizzy and vacuum unit showing up
>shortly.  Think that will help?

Likely will.  If you can't wait try setting the distributor timing to what
it would be if the vacuum retard was working (about 5 - 10 degrees ATDC)

>2.  I can try leaning out the Stromberg-Zenith carb mixtures.

Beg, borrow or steal a CO meter before playing with the carb setting.  You
can easily overdo it and make it all the worse.  The Gunnison Gastester can
be had for about $100 - 125.

>3.  I have the water-temp controlled automatic choke on my carbs.  The
>electrical wires that go into the choke are broken off, so whatever they
were
>suppose to do, ain't happening.  Maybe the solution here is to go for the
>test in the afternoon when it is warmer?

The chock should be fully off during this test.  Make sure it is fully
disengaging when the car is warm.

>4.  I'm pretty sure the air pump doesn't do much of anything anymore.  I
have
>another one, but am not sure what condition it is in.  Would that make
much
>of a difference?

Take the hose loose and see how much air comes out.  There should be a
healthy flow of air with good pressure when you try to block it off.  The
Air pump will go a long way to reducing your CO.  Make sure this system is
working properly.

Good luck

Dave
(My TR8 came in with .02% CO and zero HC)