Re: Engine Design Theory: Mutli-Plane Cranks

Subject: Re: Engine Design Theory: Mutli-Plane Cranks
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 07:27:11 -0800
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Kai :

Suggest you take another look at your TR6 crank.  I believe you'll see
that the journals are indeed separated by 120 degrees, with #1 and #6
being in one plane, 5 and 2 in another, 3 and 4 in the third plane.
Otherwise, the peaks on the point cam would have to be unevenly spaced

There have been 'uneven fire' engines made, the reason was not
efficiency but vibration suppression.  To try to extend this to your
water wheel analogy, it doesn't matter where the splash boards are
located, as long as they each receive the same amount of water as the
wheel turns (and the wheel has enough inertia to make a full
revolution).  Adding more splash boards is akin to adding more
cylinders, it makes the power delivery smoother, but you get about the
same amount of power for the same amount of water.

Randall