Re: TR3A: Removing Steering

To: willgray@region.net
Subject: Re: TR3A: Removing Steering
From: "Mike Kitchener" <mikek@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 16:57:05 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dave

Try putting the nyloc nut back on a few turns then use the levers
against that and the drop arm , put on the pressure and at the
same time hold something heavy against one side of the taper in
the drop arm and give a sharp blow with a hammer on the opposite
side . That should work , it's not easy and you need an extra pair of
hands .

Good luck

> Help! I am in the process of dismantling my damaged TR3A ,and am
> currently attempting to remove the steering in accordance with the
> instructions in the Haynes and Bentley Manuals. Both these manuals
> tell me, after having removed the nyloc nut etc securing the drop arm
> to the centre tie rod, to use a long tyre lever to separate the two.
> I've tried this, but it seems to me I'm in danger of either bending
> the tie rod or breaking the drop arm if I'm to get the drop arm to
> clear the bolt the nyloc nut was attached to. Or should I be using
> the lever to push the bolt out of the bushing?

Mike Kitchener
60 TR3A TS 75178