RE: TR4 Gearbox Laygear Bearings

To: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Subject: RE: TR4 Gearbox Laygear Bearings
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 12:08:22 -0500
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>The laygear needle bearings (Torringtons) on the TR4 were notorious for
>moving on their own, out into the thrust washers.

Ken,

Thanks, that make me feel better... I was certain that I checked the needle
bearings for proper fit... I like to think I get that stuff right.  I used a
bearing drift tool and tapped them in a little.  Maybe I should drive them
farther in.  I checked a laygear from a backup gearbox that is apart and those
needle bearings are set all the way home into the recess.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L soon to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn
E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com