Sports Coil and Electronic Ignition

To: <Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca>
Subject: Sports Coil and Electronic Ignition
From: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 09:23:58 -0500
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Stephen,

I have been running that exact same combination for 4 or 5 years with no
problems in my TR3.  It works fine, and I don't know why they would advise
against it.  Of course, the sport coil puts out a higher voltage, (40kv I
think?) but that just makes it easier for the spark to arc from the rotor to
the correct plug connection.  When using the sport coil you should widen
your spark plug gaps to about 0.035 or 0.040.

Sumner Weisman
62 TR3B TSF263L