Spitfire Wire Wheels

To: pethier@isd.net
Subject: Spitfire Wire Wheels
From: GHaynesTR4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 10:05:50 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Phil, et al,
Here's the scoop on Spitfire wire wheels.  There are two types, the bolt-on
ones and
the splined hub ones.  As you know, Triumphs use bolt-on hubs to accommodate
wire wheels.
For some odd reason, the splines on the small Triumph hubs and the splines in
the
corresponding wheels (unique to small Triumphs) are shorter in length.  So,
other wire wheels will slide onto the hubs but not far enough to allow the
knockoff to be fitted.  I discovered this when I attempted to fit a Midget
wheel to my GT6 - without success.  The real downside is that these splines
carry the torque of accellerating and braking, making them more vulnerable to
wear and failure.  In the case of a GT6, I would not recommend using wire
wheels, unless they were the bolt-on type. Better yet, the wider (5.5") TR7
steel wheels work well and can wear a much wider tyre.
With this unusual exception, all British wire wheels will interchange, until
you get into the larger ones on Jaguars and Bentleys, etc.
George Haynes