Re: e-bay

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: e-bay
From: "Andrew H. Litkowiak" <andylit@voyager.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 08:24:32 -0600
Hello the list,

As a recent addition to the family, both Triumph and the list, I may
be out of line. I'll stick my foot in it anyway.

I've been an auto hobbyist for a long time. As Don stated, when
grocery money starts sidelining into cars, fur will fly. The only way
to support my addicti....err.....hobby, is to make it a break even or
better enterprise.

Most of my list and vehicle experience has been with Toyota Land
Cruisers. I've bought, sold and swapped for years. I've parted out and
rebuilt quite a few trucks. Over 10 years, I've just barely broken
even and have shelves filled with stuff that will probably never go
anywhere for lack of a buyer.

Where am I going with this?

It's simple. After being involved with the LC list for many years, I
have finally turned to e-bay to sell my extra items and the occasional
oddball innovation.

Why?

Because I'm tired of being nibbled to death by tire kickers, insulting
offers and time wasters. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy and benefit from
the list community. It offers me both technical and social resources.
And, I give as good or better than I get. Share and share alike.

However, this does not extend to me having fire sales or giving stuff
away at 1/3 the value simply because the buyer is a list member. I
have pretty much stopped posting sale items to the LC list. Instead of
being offered goofy prices and waiting weeks for checks from buyers
who change their minds, my e-bay items either sell or they don't. 7
days and I know the item has value. Or not.

I do post my e-bay items to the LC list, usually at the beginning of
the auction and once in the last day or so.

I've currently got a LC LWB Pickup project going. A lot of items MUST
be purchased new. In the end, I'll have about $15,000 in it. You can
rest assured that I will be seeking the best prices I can get for the
parts on my shelf. If I don't, I'll have a worthless pile of half
finished projects sitting here.

Another project I have going is a frame off TR6 for my soon to be ex.
Again, quite a few parts will be new, like engine components, interior
kit, springs, etc. This project will never self finance, but once the
body has been swapped to the frame I just finished welding and
powdercoating, I'll be repairing and powder coating the original
frame.

I asked this list about that frame about a week ago. I got zero
response. You can bet it will be posted to e-bay. I have a fair idea
what price it will fetch. I could probably sell it to a retailer who
would in turn mark it up and resell it to one of you.

Why should I bother. If I'm going to bust my butt to make it nice, I
sure think I deserve a fair return. I'm not looking to get paid big
dollars for my labor. This is a hobby. But it's a darned expensive
one.

Rant Mode OFF

Andy Litkowiak