Re: WTB: TR6 radio

To: <CC50506@aol.com>, <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: Re: WTB: TR6 radio
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@telocity.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:07:35 -0800
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Steve,

I have a Pioneer DIN CD player in my '73 TR6.  To answer your questions:

1. No, its not difficult to cit the center dash support - however its not as
easy as on a "modern" car.  The dash support is cast aluminum and covered
with foam-backed vinyl.  It is easy to mar the vinyl when you are cutting
the support.  If you are going to recover the center support, then do so
AFTER you make the cuts to the center support for the DIN sleeve.  If you
are not planning to recover the support, then put masking tape over the
vinyl cover.  This will serve two purposes - one it will protect the vinyl,
and two, it will give you a surface to draw the outline of the din sleeve
onto.  Next - how to cut the aluminum - I used a dremel tool with a cutoff
wheel to perform the rough cuts and did the finish work with files (it goes
without saying that its easier if you remove the support from the car to do
this mod).  Basically all the usual caveats apply, measure twice before you
cut and don't rush the job.

2.  Should you do it ?  If you think in any way you might one day want to
make your TR a 100 point concours mnachine, then don't even think about this
mod.  Since my TR is a fairly heavily modified car already, I had no qualms
about the mod, as its getting harder and harder to find shaft-style radios
(unless you want $25.00 el cheapos or big-buck one-off conversions - nothing
in the vast middle ground)

My experience - since the Pioneer CD player is black, it blends in nicely
with the center support.  Most people don't know its there unless they take
a hard look at it

Your mileage may vary, Good luck!!

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA