More TR4 questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: More TR4 questions
From: Dietmar Schlei <dschlei@pressenter.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 21:58:34 -0600
Dear Listlers

I have now a "speedy sleeve" installed on my fan pulley (thanks to the info
from the list) that I got for about $35 from NAPA.  4 new Dunlop SP 20
tires ($40 each from Tires Plus) are installed and seemingly well balanced
on my wire wheels (again thanks to all the list members that helped me with
their advise), and here I am again with more questions:

I got a yellow palstic fan from TRF and they promissed me that it would
fit.  It does, kinda, I have about 1/2 inch space between the fan and the
radiator.  What is the minimum space that I need in this area? Any ideas?
I could turn the fan around (back wards) and it fits almost.  I just have
to grind some material away from two areas of the hub extension (it is not
totaly round, the casting seems create some slight oval shape), but I
undestand that I loose some cooling power this way.

I think that I could elongate the radiator fastening holes a litle to gain
anothe 1/4 of an inch.  Would 3/4 be enough distance between the radiator
and the van?

I have another question concewrning the rubber gasket for the handbrake.
This gasket has a tunnel like extension going from the brake lever to the
gearbox tunnel.  There seems to be no reason for this tunnel like feature.
Nothing goes away from the brake lever, and there is nothing at the
transmission area that could go into this tunnel.  What is the reason for
this shape?  I am in he process of installing a new transmission cover from
TRF which has no cut-out for this extension.  I plan to leave it like this
and have the seal just ending blind at the new cover.  Is that OK or am I
missing something?  I would appreciate your input.

As allways, I am greatfull for any help you can give me.

Dietmar Schlei