Regarding replacement radiators....

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Regarding replacement radiators....
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:23:14 -0700
The response, thus far, has been minimal, I'm afraid to say. What many
list members may not realize is that for reproductions to be made, the
quantities have to be in the hundreds, and the response has not
justified such. It's not so much a matter of cores--these can be
produced more easily, since the flat plates at top and bottom are not
hard to reproduce with correct drawings. The problem is in filler necks
and header tanks, which are more complicated and expensive to reproduce.
I, perhaps, erroneously assumed that the headers were beginning to fail
after thirty or forty years of use, but it seems that is not the case.
That's probably a testimony to the original design. (!)

Fred Thomas provided a TR3 radiator (I still need to know which way the
crank through hole was screwed up, Fred), and will be disassembling that
one to make measurements for CAD prints, but, I think, manufacturing of
more robust units than stock will have to wait for the demand to catch
up to the requirements of the manufacturers.

I thank you all for your replies. They are tucked away on the computer
disk for future reference.

Cheers, all.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
`71 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)
`86 Nissan 300ZX (the minimal-maintenance road car)
`68 VW Type II Camper (Lancia twin-cam powered, but feeling its age....)

Remember:  Math and alcohol do not mix... do not drink and derive.