Comment on Manual for general knowledge. a.EDU>

To: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Comment on Manual for general knowledge. a.EDU>
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:39:59 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu
Just my two cents worth....

Do-it-yourselfers can do good work, but frequently, without the
guidance/experience of a truly good mechanic (read teacher) to assist,
and/or a VERY good shop manual, can and do make many horrible mistakes.
(Just read some of the comments on this list!  However, here people are
seeking good advice!)  Big difference: it's their car, and their problem!
I have worked on all manner of cars since I was a kid, and paid much of my
college expenses doing work on friend's cars.  With my car, a 1960 TR-3A,
which I still have, I would often cut corners to save costs.  Friends
would ask if I would do this for them.  Answer: NO!  When asked why not, I
told them, if I get stuck, my problem, if you get stuck, still my problem,
but maybe bigger, and I could loose a friend.  Thus, I would only use
reputable parts from sources I could trust, i.e., not Auto Zone type
places...

Many very good mechanics try to do the right thing, but many folks don't
want to pay for that.  They just want to fix "this one thing."  Many of
the long time, small shops are very honest.  It all depends on the the
folks running them.  The big shops are a mixed bag.  Big problem, and some
folks on the referred to these, lots of different types of cars, and all
have their own unique problems, and lots of so-called mechanics, who are
really only parts replacers, don't know the cars.  It takes time to read a
manual, and lots of times the fee for the job does not permit the research
time...

Just my 2 cents worth...

Cheers.

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]