Spitfire & Rotoflex

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire & Rotoflex
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:52:20 EST
Hi List,
I am a newbie as you call them. I`ve been lurking for a while adding my $.02
worth on a couple of subjects.  See a few people I know but most I dont.
Anyway you guys are great and I need help.  I just finished a conversion to
Rotoflex rear axles on my 70 Spit Mk 3.  I just got tried of it wanting to
lift it`s leg on all the tight corner`s while running between the cones on
the autocross course.  My spit is highly modified anyway with a GT6 close
ratio gearbox , 455 rear axle and alot of motor mods so why not?  I seem to
have more time to work on it than I have opportunitys to autocross.
Everything looked good until I set it back on the ground.  I then noticed
that the Rotoflex couplings were only about an 1/8" away from the shackes on
the leaf spring.  This made me a little bit more than nervous. Even though
the whole assembly goes up and down as a unit I am concerned about
catostropic failure if the coupling gets into the shackle.  I do have a late
"swing spring" in there and the original 70 spit spring has different
shackles that are crimped over which would give extra clearance but the Diff
is also the later type so I might have a problem mounting it.  What do you
guys think?  Should I dump the swing spring? Do I need that anyway with
Rotoflex?  Should I put a GT6 spring in there ?  Should I just go for it with
the current set-up?  Any help from the Spitfire & GT6 guys would be Greatly
appreaciated.
Thanks in advance
Darrell Floyd
70 Spitfire MK3