Re: IRS and Live axle TR4A question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Richard White" <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: IRS and Live axle TR4A question
From: "levilevi" <levilevi@home.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:30:59 -0700
> Listers,
>
> The owner of this car implies that IRS TR4As are not as common
> as the live axle varity.  I was under the impression the opposite
> was true.  I'm just curious, not looking for a new car.

Rich,

The opposite is true.  About one in three TR4As were solid axle TR4As.   At
least that's the figure I've seen in some books.

What bothers me more about this car ad is the strange photos that look as if
they were made "artsy" but make me wonder if they were made to cover some
flaws.  Plus a lot of the photos are extreme close-ups so you can't get a
feel for it's overall condition, e.g. the interior.

The seller says the car "99% rust-free" with chips and dimples in the
original paint.  So there IS rust on the car...wonder where that 1% is
located?  The dash is messed up and the heater and overdrive are
inoperative.  The interior is "near new" for what that's worth.

Most of the ad is a lot of history about the TR4A and not about the car.
There's a lot of weaseling wording going on too, e.g. "everything works"
....well everything except the stuff that doesn't work.  And the seller has
agreed to refund a non-refundable $1000 deposit if he's misrepresented the
car.....so even they believe there's a possibility it's been
misrepresented......but don't worry cause you're get a refund of a
nonrefundable deposit.....sounds like a contradiction to me.  Good Luck
getting it!

  I hope the guy bidding almost $7000 all ready on this car has gotten lots
more info. from the seller than is in the ad.  There's some strange stuff
going on with this ad...buyer beware has never looked more important.

You'd think that for a $13,000 reserve that the seller would at least put
clean air filters on it since he swears it's been "pampered".  Guess that
doesn't necessarily mean maintained though does it?

But I could be wrong about this too.

Bud Rolofson

[This message delayed, as it was sent by someone who has their mailer set to
automatically include the entire message to which they reply.  mjb.]